Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Rope
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:18:58 -0700
I use a low stretch braided dacron that is made by New England ropes in
a 7/16" size, which I find is the smallest line that has good hand, can
be tied easily, and fits the rohn gin pole fittings.  West Marine sells
this line.  You don't want 3 strand since it will impart spin on what is
being lifted.  Nylon is stretchy which makes top of the tower work
interesting when tower sections start bouncing around.  You mentioned
arborist ropes which also are very hard lay (tightly woven) as this
reduces the potential for snags and increases the life of the line.
These ropes can also be had with a coating to reduce snagging.

Remember that you need a length twice the tower plus gin pole height
plus enough for the ground crew plus enough for tie offs of tower
sections being lifted.  The expense for a good line is well worth it.

I might also mention that the ball bearing (actually nylon balls) snatch
blocks and pulleys that are used on sailboats are real backsavers if you
need mechanical advantage.  The reduction in friction in the ball
bearing block is huge.

Grant,  KZ1W