Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor on the verge of failure? - Follow up

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor on the verge of failure? - Follow up
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:53:47 -0400

Gene Fuller wrote:
> There are planetary gear systems and then there are planetary gear systems.
> Granted that probably there are present day boxes that you can turn by hand,
> but thern I believe that technically speaking the gear box on the propitch
> motors is also planetary and you sure can't turn that one back
> Gene / W2LU

I should have rephrased that as I meant spur gears such as are used in
most rotators like the Ham M family, rather than planetary. OTOH it
still takes a very high gear ratio in a planetary to provide enough
resistance to prevent free wheeling.

Yes, the prop pitch motors use a planetary gear system but with a fairly
powerful motor and a very high gear ratio as well. As they were designed
the output was over quite a short range of rotation (slightly less than
90 degrees) and there was a lot of resistance to turning from those big
prop blades bring turned by around 1800 to 2400 hp it took a lot of
torque to turn them

73

Roger (K8RI).