Re: [TowerTalk] BN-86 Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BN-86 Balun
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:17:52 -0400

On 5/19/2010 8:11 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/19/2010 3:42:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>

>>   I agree, the BN-86 is junk.  I fried one too on my  TH7
>>

>      Ah, the infamous Fuse Balun. 1000 watts, ok -  1500 watts, the fuse
> blows

You do have to take into account the ratings of this thing which might
be tad optimistic.

1500W PEP, 800 Avg into < 2:1 SWR
ONLY 500W PEP <3:1
Digital/RTTY 500W @ <2:1

IOW it aint rated for much to begin with! Get near the band edges and
it's only good for about 500 watts PEP.

They may not be pretty, but my TH-5 is getting a home grown current
balun consisting of 4 turns of Davis BuryFlex, LMR-400, or RG-8X
through 5 Fair-Rite 2.4" (#31 mix) cores for close to 5000 ohms of
isolation.
(Thanks Jim)

73

Roger (K8RI)