Re: [TowerTalk] Silicone on coax connector's ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Silicone on coax connector's ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:33:36 -0400
Actually the proper grease(s) to use on coax connectors is either DC-4
or DC-5 compound. They are dielectric greases designed for that job and
are preferable to the high vacuum grease.. HOWEVER...there is not a
large difference in the formulations and compounding so the high vacuum
grease should work.

There are two reasons for using silicone grease on coax connectors.
Lubrication (uses as little grease as possible for the desired effect)
and flooding (Fill all voids in the connector including the end of the
coax dielectric.) for use in adverse/harsh environments.  Yes, we put
the stuff on the connector dielectric. It was designed for that.<:-)) It
will also increase the breakdown voltages for the connectors, but if
running connectors with that kind of power, it would be better to move
to higher rated connectors such as the 7-16 DIN.

I use it on the threads of both N and UHF connectors that will be used a
lot such as the ones on the patch panel in the shop. I have also flooded
connectors up at the antenna when I didn't think the antenna connectors
were sufficient to keep out water.

73

Roger (K8RI)