Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why horizontally polarized antennas?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:12:02 -0700
Kelly Johnson wrote:
> OK, let's ignore the fact that I said "horizontally polarized".  My
> co-worker assumed my antenna is "horizontally polarized" because it is
> physically oriented that way.  Regardless, I'm sure everyone
> understands his question.
>
> BTW - The reason he asked was because he had been told by a very well
> known and respected industry expert that verticals over water were the
> best radiators.  I explained to him that yes, verticals over salt
> water are very good, but not many hams live over salt water so most of
> us use yagi's.

And that's exactly it... for low takeoff angles, a horizontally
polarized antenna is almost always better than a vertical of the same
physical size at the same height above ground.

WHen it comes to low bands, where building a full size antenna is
difficult, then other factors come into play. It's esier to build a 1/4
wave vertical for 80m than a 1/2 wave rotatable dipole (or pair of
switched dipoles).. and it's hard to get that dipole up in the air.