Re: [TowerTalk] Mountain top multi tower QTH

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mountain top multi tower QTH
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:57:27 -0400
I'm a bit more optimistic than some of the other based on years of
experience on a similar but less extreme site.

We operate VHF/UHF/Microwave contest from Mount Graylock in West Mass.
That site has a UHF TV Station, FM station, A few commercial services,
and several ham repeaters.  We put cavity filters in the Rx path on
every band but 6 meters and as a result have _no_ problem with
interference from the high power transmitters or other electronics.

For a while, we did suffer some interference on VHF, about 10dB above
the noise, when we pointed to the TV station building.  We got tired of
that and one of the guys traced it to a unused, unpowered TV preamp
connected to an unused TV Rx antenna.  The thing acted like a diode and
caused mixing between the Nth harmonic of the station and the Mth
harmonic of the TV aural carrier and the result happened to fall on 2M.

On 2M EME, the site is _much_ cleaner and quieter than my home site with
very few spurious. (no plasma TV, no Tivo, not that many PCs, etc)

On most bands the noise rise several dB when the antennas point towards
the town south of us at a distance of about 10 miles.  But nothing from
the big guns on the mountain.

If we take off the cavity filters, the Rx chain immediately overloads
from the massive out of band signals and noise floor rises to S9.  Don't
do that.

TV and FM stations tend to have high quality design and relatively good
spurious and noise performance.  The commercial two-way radio is maybe a
bigger problem.

There is probably a strong, even exponential, relationship between the
number of transmitters and the chance of spurious.  If there's diode
junction somewhere, and even a rusty joint can be nonlinear enough to
create mixing, then more transmitters mean many more combinations that
may land on your frequency.

I'd try it.  Get a cavity filter for 144.2 MHz and your other bands of
choice, a good preamp, a short yagi, and take it up there.  You might be
surprised.

jeff, wa1hco