Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:22:22 -0400

On 7/16/2010 8:43 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
> TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
>

>> It is extremely unusual to see an amateur installation using a size larger
>> than LMR600.
>>
> I would say unusual, but not extremely unusual. In fact there is a lot
> of 1-5/8" Heliax out there. I know, I'm nit-picking :)

My entire system is LMR-600 with the exception of some Davis
BuryFlex(TM) pigtails, and drops to the 80 meter slopers. I use RG-8X to
the 40 meter half wave slopers. I opted for the 8X due to the small
size, low wind resistance, relatively short runs (bout 40') and low SWR
on 40.  The voltages get too high at the 80 meter band edges for the
8X.  I don't know how long it'll stand up to the legal limit, but it's
done fine so far.

NOW for both ends of the spectrum, if I could find some 7/8, to 1 1/4
Heliax cheap with connectors, I'd certainly use it for 160 meters as
well as 50, 144, and 440. With HF I'd stick with the LMR 600 as the
overall runs are about 228' (EXCEPT)OTOH there's probably not a
noticeable difference between the 400 and 400 80 through 10 even with
228 feet of coax.  OTOH we are limited to 50 watts output on the 440
band in this area so I want to get every watt to the antenna possible.

  73

Roger (K8RI)