Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:45:07 -0400
Jim,

 > Would that make an adequate RF connection? I'd
 > guess that the answer depends on the frequency of interest. Or
 > would only a crimp-type connector be capable of an adequate
 > connection?

In theory it would depend on the thickness of the inner shield
vs. frequency (skin depth) and whether the inner shield was
insulated (aluminum oxide is an insulator) and the electrical
length between the connection point (e.g., clamp?) and the
end of the shield.  If the connection is to the outer shield
and the two shields are insulated the losses can get very
high.

If the connections are to the outer shield and the interface
between the shields is slightly semi-conducting (aluminum
oxide) low-level mixing can occur (IMD/increased noise).

All of these effects are predictably frequency dependent
based on shield thickness vs. skin depth and connection
length to the end of the shield.  As the impedance from
the connection point to the inside of the inner shield
increases, the less the cable behaves like a coax and the
larger the fields between the shields.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV