Re: [TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 06:59:19 -0400

On 7/22/2010 8:57 PM, Doug Renwick wrote:
> Steve,
>
> What you suggest works and I have used that procedure, but it only works
> if the thread on the U bolt is long enough to capture the eye of the
> turnbuckle.  Most as found U bolts that I have do not have excess
> length.

If Lowes, Home Depot, and the hardware stores don't have them locally
most industrial supply houses will have them. I purchased "forged SS"
3/8" eye bolts 10" long from "Prime Fastener", or "Alma Bolt" locally
which also sells on line. I would imagine that most of the on-line
supply houses have them.

I use a saddle clamp to fit the mast and drill a piece of angle stock to
fit. I drill holes in the ends to take a shackle. I've also welded up
brackets to put the connections out far enough to center on the boom

For most antennas that have 30 to 40 foot booms there isn't a lot of
stress or load on that boom truss.  Full size long boom antennas are a
different story.
Even my nearly 30 foot long C3i 7L 6-meter Yagi has less than 20-30#
load on the truss.

73

Roger (K8RI)