Re: [TowerTalk] Tower gloves redux

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower gloves redux
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 02:55:03 -0400
For at least 30 years I have used "tight fitting, soft leather
gloves...typically pig skin. You can find them on sale at times for $12
to $18 but regular prices may run pretty steep.
They don't get slippery when wet, protect your hands, let you grip
"relatively" small parts like nuts and bolts.
As I worked in very cold weather at times, cut out fingers were not an
option.
Often I had to use Talcum powder to get them on...when I said tight I
meant fitting like a second skin.  I found a few with reinforced fingers
and palms, but in general they were not flexible enough for fine work.
They can even be washed, but the down side to that is you have to wear
them while they are drying or you'll never get them back on.
A light coat of neat's foot oil sprayed on will make them generally
water proof at least for a short time, but don't use them while the
surface is still oily.
You can also use a very low viscosity 200 fluid (silicone fluid)
available in small spray cans from shoe stores. Go light and let them
thoroughly dry to get rid of any solvent before wearing them.
That's what has worked for me.

73

Roger (K8RI)