Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:29:16 +0100
Kevin,

I assume by "coax baluns" that you mean air-cored baluns. Air-cored
baluns have a number of disadvantages:

* They are "high-Q" and exhibit a high common-mode impedance over only a
relatively narrow bandwidth
* Their common-mode impedance is almost entirely Reactive (rather than
Resistive); in situations where the common-mode path impedance is
Reactive but of opposite sign, the addition of the balun can actually
INCREASE common-mode current.

An effective 1:1 Current balun should have a high common-mode impedance
which is predominantly Resistive over the frequency range of interest. I
have a chart on my web site which shows the relative performance of
several types of 1:1 balun:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

As you can see, baluns wound on "lossy" ferrite mixes such as #43 or #31
do best, and toroidal forms tend to make best use of the available
ferrite material.

73,
Steve G3TXQ