Re: [TowerTalk] WW II Aircraft Landing Mats as a counterpoise system?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WW II Aircraft Landing Mats as a counterpoise system?
From: "Bob, W3IDT" <w3idt@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 16:21:00 -0400
Short answer: The stuff was fabulous for a Radio Shack push-up mast 40m
vertical and a 20m RV mounted vertical at a w0ups (Northern Colorado
ARC) Field Day maybe 20 years ago (and maybe they are still using it).

Longer story: About 20 years ago, my late in-laws lived in Ft Collins,
CO, and we would drive once per year - from the Washington, DC, area -
to have the (then) kids visit their grandparents. One trip was over FD
weekend, but the xyl allowed me to join the NCARC for their FD held on
an exposed hill some miles east of the front range. 'twas only their
second FD attempt... mostly social. Their 40m antenna was a dipole
strung between two RS push up masts, each around 30' with very little
space between the dipole ends and the masts, and simply didn't work. [My
guess is that the RF was coupled to the masts straight into the ground.]

Walking around, I noticed the matting which I'd describe as 4' x 8'
sections of the metal mats at ski resorts to wipe snow off boots, and
was told that it was the helipad for the "stuff" behind the double
fenced section of the hill (a missile site). And was told that the stuff
was originally made to serve as tank "roads" on the Normandy beaches in
WW II.

I suggested that, since they were not getting out on 40m, we try
something: Move one of the masts well over the matting and use it as a
vertical. A (beer?) bottle was found for the insulator, one mast was
lowered, dipole disconnected, and the mast re-guyed over the matting.
So far so good. But the coax from the 40m station didn't reach - missed
by maybe 4' (40m station was on chained down picnic table, so it
couldn't move, and no-one wanted to move the mast again). No-one seemed
to have the usual "junk box" needed for such FD emergencies. If I could
find a barrel connector, was about the rip out the 2m FM coax from the
car when inspiration hit: Battery cable!  With some sheets of paper as
insulators, the battery clips grabbed the pl-259 of the coax at one end
and the mast and matting at the other end. Instant pileup on 40m.

The RV with the 20m vertical was then moved over the matting as well,
and it, too, had an instant pile-up.

Bob, w3idt

. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT   .
. W3IDT@arrl.net            .