[TowerTalk] Force 12 C19XR

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C19XR
From: Neil & Heather <neil.goodell@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:16:14 -0400
I saw some traffic on the relector this Month
on the SWR curve on the C19XR, specificlly 15m,
and trying to get a good match,and thought I would just share some of my
notes with the group.
I have been having an intermittent short when rotating my Force 12, and
presumed it to be a bad section of coax or a bum connector.
Well, yesterday and today I was able to get up the tower and investigate.
What I found was the connector on the stock supplied coax balun ,(Cal-Av
Labs EB-1)had pulled out,and the "ground" side of the balun was
open...therefore rendering the balun junk.
(with no easy way to fix!)
So, I wound a coax air choke, 6 turns RG213, 5" in diamater, just so I
could get on the air until I was able to order a new ferrite balun.
Let me back up here just a bit , and say the main reason for this post,
is that I was never able to get a better than 1:9:1 SWR on 15m. no
matter how much I played with the "feed" wires
between the 10m and 20m drivers,and the best 20m match I had was 1:4:1,
that was until I put the coax choke up...now, my SWR is down to 1:4:1
across the whole 15m band.It is also a perfect 1:0:1 0n 20m
from 14.170 to 14.250, best match ever.
Now I can't say why the coax choke is giving me a better match..and
still think the EB-1 is a good balun, and will still get a
replacement...but, its hard to argue with the
swr #'s on the analyzer.It might be a while before I change that balun!!
Just thought I would share this with other C19XR ownwers..
GL
73 es de AE1P,
Neil G