Re: [TowerTalk] balun beads for 9913

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balun beads for 9913
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:29:23 -0700
Why use 9913 to make chokes when smaller diameter PTFE cables are
available? At 30Mhz,  RG's 142 (3Kw), 223, 304(6Kw), all handle max
legal power plus with some VSWR headroom,  and 316(1Kw @ 30Mhz, 2.26Kw @
7Mhz) for lower frequencies and power levels.  (RG213 is 2Kw at 30Mhz).
It seems to me that the smaller braid OD has less capacitance per turn,
assuming they are spread out around the core.  Or at the same self
resonant frequency get more choke Z with a few more turns - N squared
sure helps.  Even at a couple of bucks per foot, only need a few feet
are needed.  You might have one more coax to coax connection up in the
air and lose another 0.05db , which is a little downside.

Times Microwave has their full coax catalog pdf at
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/tl14_catalog/index.shtml

They also have a nice loss/power on-line calculator at
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl

Grant KZ1W