Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:35:03 -0500

On 12/15/2010 11:39 AM, Joe Giacobello, K2XX wrote:
>    Nova did a presentation on fractals last night, and there was about a
> five minute segment with N1IR and fractal antennas.  Apparently, they're
> finding applications in cell phones and the like.  Although I don't
> remember the details, N1IR took a lot of heat from some members of the
> various ham antenna forums when he first proposed his ideas.
IIRC and I probably don't...
I think the *heat* developed for two reasons.  The antenna was proposed
for HF. Whether it was Chip or some one else I don't remember, but the
antennas are suited for the cell phone range. Adapting one to HF...It's
a limited space antenna *broadband* with the performance of a limited
space antenna. OTOH if you are tying to shoehorn am antenna into a
limited space...

The other, as I said IIRC, was he did not take criticism well and any
negative comments whether valid or not led to fireworks.  With that in
mind things went down hill...*quickly*
>    I guess
> that was about ten years ago.  Have he and his concepts now been vindicated?
As the way they were presented in the "News Groups"?  Probably not.
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/cfa/fractal.htm gives an explanation.

73

Roger (K8RI)