Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: "R. Morris" <robrk@nidhog.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:33:15 -0500

On 12/23/2010 8:24 PM, R. Morris wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 08:20 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>>
>> On 12/23/2010 12:25 PM, Dave Hachadorian wrote:
>>> The rule is now LESS clear because Skimmer is mentioned.  Is
>>> Skimmer allowed in broadband mode (to find EVERY CQ'ing station,
>>> on EVERY band), or only narrowband mode (used only as a
>>> single-signal code reader)?  If you allow broadband mode, the
>>> entire nature of the contest changes.
>> OK guys, speak English.
>> What is a "Skimmer".  I under stand scanner, and CW reader, but lets not
>> make up designations.
>> If in plain language it has a lot more meaning.
>>
>> 73
>
> http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/
So a skimmer is a copyrighted name of a *specific* program that copies
code and *scans* a wide range of frequencies looking for stations
calling CQ. IOW it makes the station a multi op, multi receiver station
by default.  Like Dennis, I'd create two categories that either allow
"scanning", or don't. OTOH  just add an additional sub category to each
category allowing such...IOW they should compete with each other.

We should not do such a device the honor of calling all CW readers by
that name.

73

Roger (K8RI)