Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:35:27 -0800
On 1/3/2011 1:01 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
> I would definitely install a whole-house SPD solution at the service
> entrance.  Then, only consider single-mode SPD devices (e.g., SurgeX) on
> branch circuits.
>
> Right now, I'm only using a whole-house protector.  All 3-mode MOV devices
> previously used on my branch circuits were hauled away with the trash.  I'll
> add single-mode SPD devices as time (and my budget) permits.

I agree with that advice. The fundamental logic is that the whole house
protector takes care of what comes in on the power line, and the SurgeX
boxes take care of what is induced by a strike on wiring inside the home.

Since I began with SurgeX units before I learned about the availability
of whole house units and have them on all my sensitive gear, I've not
done the whole house unit.  If I were starting from scratch, I would do
a good whole house unit first.

73, Jim K9YC