Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPPRESSORS may not cover lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPPRESSORS may not cover lightning
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:26:54 -0700
Before buying one, it is important to define what you want the whole
house surge suppressor to do.  Do you have AC power surges, or are you
looking for protection against lightning surges?   I carefully checked
out the whole house surge suppressor heavily promoted by our local
electrical utility only to discover that damage from lightning, either
to the house and various electronic equipment or to the surge suppressor
itself, was totally excluded from the warranty.  AC power surges, either
from the utility itself or from nearby equipment (HVAC, etc) connected
to the lines, was all that was covered.

There is some amount of jeopardy in assuming your definition of a power
surge is the same as the manufacturer/supplier of the gear.

73,
Dave   AB7E