Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:17:25 -0500
This is an excellent example of "Your Mileage May Vary".

It depends where you are, as far as how strictly they keep track of things.
Here in FL, I've often heard people refer to "as-built plans".... but
never anybody
FROM here, because there is no such thing, here. I don't know what they may
have at city hall or the County building department, but, it's not
likely to have
been corrected after anything varied from what was first put down on the
plan.

A good friend of mine, who is in the business of building swimming
pools, amongst
other things, applied for a permit to build a swimming pool at his own
home. They
told him he'd have to have the owner of the other half of the duplex
sign off on it.
His house was a freestanding, 3 story canal-front home, and the other
"half" of the
duplex was on another lot, maybe 75-100 yards away, owned by somebody else.
Obviously, there had been some hanky-panky, but, when two whole 3 story
buildings
get built, on separate lots, as a "duplex", you really can't expect
"downtown" to
have accurate plans. The people inspecting the construction had
something else on
their minds, beside somebody's ability to accurately look things up in
the future.

You *have to* call whatever the number is locally for utility location.
That black 1"
pipe was probably a X-pair phone cable.

Here in FL, wrecking a utility w/o having it located is a CRIME, not
just a civil liability.

FWIW, I once stuck my hand in a hole full of water, due to a broken
sprinkler at a condo
that I worked at, and found a 220V line for a nearby halogen light, on a
pole, about a foot down.
Things are not always where common sense would tell us that they ought
to be.

Randy
KZ4RV