Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know
From: Randy <randy@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:49:16 -0500
Years ago, when my job involved the location of sewer lines, I once got
sent to determine
where the customer's line went into the City of XYZ's sewer main-- the
city was replacing
the common line that ran down the middle of the back yards, with new
mains that ran down
the street in the front of the homes. Obviously, the City's main would
be near the middle
of the yards, well beyond the customer's swimming pool.... Wrong. The
pool was a few feet
from the home, maybe 10' at the most, and the City's sewer main was
between the pool
and the house. "Everybody" "should have" "known" that. Well, if anybody
did during the
pool permitting process, they didn't say so. And it's likely that there
weren't any prints to
show where that pipe was, and, I'd guess that any prints that showed
that it should be
somewhere else probably got lost or all marked up with undated/unsigned
notes.

In another instance, I located the customer's non-functional septic tank
(nobody calls
anybody when everything is OK).... right under an addition to the house.
Probably
done w/o a permit, can't fault the municipality on that one. No
clean-out, nowhere
to pump the tank, all covered with concrete, under what is now part of
"the house".

I've heard of another instance in which a fairly new home's sewer ceased
to function, and
upon further investigation, it turns out that the sewer had been plumbed
into a vacant
electric co. HV conduit. We can all hope that it was vacant, due to
abandonment, rather
that being something that somebody would eventually have to convince
conductors to
pass through.

I've got more of these stories...all factual or from trusted sources
that have no reason to
prevaricate.

Randy
KZ4RV