Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:39:55 -0500
On 01/20/2011 05:46 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> So far I haven't subjected any to prolonged outdoor use, so I can't
>> comment on how "weather proof" they are.
>
> Steve,
>
> I can't either but I recently changed all of my station cabling to RG-400
> inside and LMR400 outdoors.   I'm using crimped PL-259 inside only; soldered
> PL-259 outdoors.  My fears may be unfounded but I would rather not have to
> ask the question during times of poor performance whether the problem is
> related to the use of crimped connectors.

I have heard that crimping may be a bad idea with the LMR-400
alike cable that uses copper clad aluminum as the center
conductor.

The reason stated is that copper and aluminum have different
thermal expansion in heating and cold, and that somehow the
crimped connector could work itself loose.

I do not know whether this is true.  I have just decided to
solder my connectors, just in case :)

--
All rights reversed.