Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] When to RETIRE from climbing?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:15:56 -0700
I've decide the price-performance-safety-no sweat of rental boom lifts
(e.g. Genie lift, JLG Lift) are a winner.  Around here 40 footers go for
about $220 a day plus $50 for the round trip delivery/pickup.  That size
works for crankups to the top of the mast.  They are available to 105'
and I've rented  40' to 85' to put beams on towers and antenna
attachments into trees.  It took a bit of effort as an individual to
rent above 40' as the rental yards are concerned about their quarter
million dollar machine and what damage (besides to yourself) can be
wreaked with one.  I needed to provide a credit application and
liability insurance binder for the value of the machine payable to them,
which was very inexpensive (free) from my insurance company as a rider
on my general liability policy.  Go in person to the rental yard and
work with them, they want to know who you are for these machines.
Repeat rentals then become much easier.

The bucket capacities are usually 500 lbs so worker(s) and antenna can
be carried to the top of the tower and mast.  The lift boom will fit
between HF yagi elements so antennas can go on/off a mast as needed.
If there is any question about the soil, make sure you get a 4wd unit.
These things are heavy with the big counterweights.  I got a 85' 2wd
stuck and it took a supersized tow truck to get unstuck.  $$$.  He had
done it many times.

While the 4wd units can climb pretty good grades, all lifts need to be
nearly level to elevate the boom, so that is a constraint.  There are a
number of safety circuits in these but ask the delivery driver for a how
to tutorial.  The machines a placarded for OSHA approved fall arrest
gear, YMMV.

As always with heavy machines and heights, planning ahead, thinking,
moving slowly, and good situational awareness are essential for safety.

Grant  KZ1W