Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:40:38 -0700
On 3/30/11 11:33 AM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>      I just read a portion of the ARRL tower book where  the author recounts
> an episode where the temporary rope guys holding the bottom  sections of
> the tower stretched so much that he found himself laying on the  ground with
> the tower laying on top of him. Similarly, W2GD had the same  thing happen to
> him. In neither case was the climber terribly injured but they  were lucky
> to fall onto soft ground.

Also depends on the kind of rope you're using.  A non-stretchy rope
helps a lot. A quick glance over a rope catalog or even something like
the McMaster-Carr catalog's explanatory sections will tell you what kind
of rope to use.
(that climbing rope designed to cushion the impact of a fall is probably
a bad choice<grin>)

I've also used hybrid guys... a fixed length of steel cable with a rope
to "customize" the length. (Where I used to work, we had a lot of
pre-made steel cables with thimbles, etc. and, of course, they're never
exactly what you need)

  Proper shackles and coupling is, of course necessary.