Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:00:31 -0400
I agree with Jim but would add a bit.

Depending on the size of the tower and length of the temporary guy my
requirements vary.
Synthetic and Hemp rope both have their good and bad sides.  Both age,
but differently
Nylon is a waste of time and dangerous due to the tremendous stretch.
On the 45G I used wire rope for the temporary guys.
On the 25G which will only go to 50 feet I'm using a Dacron double braid
which has very little stretch. The permanent guys will be Phillystran.
The small Phillystran makes excellent temporary guys, but it's kinda
pricey compared to 3/16" wire rope.

When using temporary guys I install the permanent guys as soon as I
reach that height. Each new section goes up with the temporary guys
attached to the top of it and they are tensioned before I go up that
one. With larger, stronger towers that likely would not be necessary but
Jim works with that size stuff, I don't.

Basically I'm using the Dacron instead of the wire rope as I gave away
the wire rope after finishing the 45G and before I'd decided to put up
the 25G AND I have about 1500 feet of the Dacron.

Temporary guys are often a necessity, but your neck or whoever else
might climb the tower depends on those temporary guys so choose and use
them wisely.

73

Roger (K8RI)