Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:58:18 -0700
A few comments and a question.

Having about 2 miles of wire fencing at my ranch, I've learned that most
of the farm store "hi-tensile" wire is import junk.  It stretches and
stretches.  So my ranch hand goes far out of his way to buy US made
branded fencing wire that he knows.  Caveat emptor.  Also, using single
strand essentially unrated wire in a man rated application like a tower
guy seems a bit risky to me.  The 1250# break strength seems a bit low
since a rule of thumb is  Breaking load > 10x SWL.   The single strand
galvanizing is likely electroplated instead of hot dipped, so corrosion
deterioration may be fast.

My question is: do tower professionals use the Klein Chicago Grips that
are specifically made to temporarily hold EHS?  I have used them to
slack guys and re-attach them, etc.  A come-along can do the temporary
holding, etc.  This seems much simpler than other approaches.

Grant  KZ1W