Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam, spiderbeam, Force C-3SS, etc..

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam, spiderbeam, Force C-3SS, etc..
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:27:32 -0700
I own two Optibeam antennas ... an OB16-3 and an OB2-40.  I've generated
EZNEC models for both of them based upon actual dimensions and they
compare almost identically to the published curves for SWR and pattern.
I've measured the patterns and SWR curves for both antennas and they
compare almost identically to the published curves.  DF2BO rigorously
models each of his antennas and bases his specs upon those models.

I see no reason at all to doubt the published information for the
OBW10-5.  I've never owned or used the OBW10-5 but if I were considering
a more compact installation that would be the antenna I would want to
have.  It's a lightweight small surface area 2-element antenna with
close to optimum spacing on all five bands, and the Moxon configurations
on 20m and 17m give very nice front-to-back and bandwidth performance on
those bands.

Almost everything I've heard about a Spiderbeam has been good, but I
suspect it wouldn't hold a candle to the OptiBeam for high wind
survivability.

73,
Dave   AB7E