Re: [TowerTalk] control cables lightning protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] control cables lightning protection
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:17:44 -0700
Vishay makes Transient Voltage Suppressors (TVS) in clamp voltages from
10 volts to several hundred volts.  A common size can handle a 1500 watt
surge.  They are very fast, I think faster than MOVs and have a sharper
knee so the clamp voltage doesn't rise as much as MOVs with increased
current.  Both unidirectional (diode in reverse) and bidirectional (for
ac circuits) are available around $1 each qty 1.  For low power
circuits, they are a good choice.  I think the construction is basically
back to back heavy duty zeners for the bidirectional version, at a price
far below stud mount zeners.

for one TVS source - see Mouser

http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/TVS-Diodes-Transient-Voltage-Suppressors/_/N-5g3g?P=1z0z819Z1yzv44xZ1z0x7vi&Keyword=tvs&FS=True

OTOH, MOVs are available for 10,000's of joules in the screw mount
sizes, for motor, power contactor, or mains transient suppression.

Grant KZ1W