Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:31:39 -0700
On 8/24/2011 6:19 PM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:
> I'm going to be installing a couple of WiFi antennas on a couple of towers
> in the near future.  The radio sits on the back of the antenna so the only
> wire coming off the tower is an Ethernet cable (with 24VDC Power over
> Ethernet to power the radio).

Be prepared for the installation to create massive RF noise in the HF
spectrum.  I've seen one such installation take a remote mountain-top
site from S0 to S9.  Be absolutely certain that the POE cables are
shielded and properly bonded at both ends. (See next paragraph).

One of the most fundamental rules of "grounding" is that cable shields
must be bonded directly to the shielding enclosure at end, and NEVER to
the circuit board. That shielding enclosure must, in turn, be bonded to
all other shielding enclosures in the installation, and to all grounds.
This simple set of bonding rules will go a long way to maximize
lightning protection and minimize RF noise.

73, Jim Brown K9YC