Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 02:49:26 -0400
On 10/5/2011 8:56 PM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> Can LMR-400 cable be buried without being in PVC, just buried?  - Mike

Yes it can if you do not have stony soil.
LMR 400DB is better suited as it has a flooding compound under the
jacket so water can not migrate.
Davis BuryFlex (TM) has a very rugged jacket, (probably the most rugged
out there) but it does not have the flooding compound that is normally
associated with direct bury cables.

LMR400UF is not well suited for direct exposure to the elements and the
jacket is fragile.

IF I had stony soil I'd only use a direct burial cable with the flooding
compound.
Sandy, or clay loam and BuryFlex(TM) would be suitable.

OTOH I believe in running cables through conduit for the ultimate
protection.  Up here the soil goes through  many freeze / thaw cycles
which can be very hard on coax cables even if they do not puncture the
jacket.

73

Roger (K8RI)