Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guying angle question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guying angle question
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:29:43 -0400
On 10/24/2011 9:03 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
> It should be fairly trivial to make or modify a wall mount to
> accommodate a rotated tower. I don't like to see guys pulling in the
> wrong direction, though on a lightly loaded short tower you could get
> away with it.
>
> -Steve K8LX
>
> On 10/23/2011 8:15 PM, R. Michael Barts wrote:
>> The normal do-what-the-manufacturer-says installation pictures always seem
>> to assume that the direction of the guys are perpendicular to the tower face
>> opposite leg to which the guy is attached.

I use the tower manufacturers "guy brackets" which form a saddle around
the tower. This eliminates the guys being attached to the tower legs so
there is no outward force on the legs. All of the horizontal stress is
on that saddle. Of course the vertical force is transmitted to the
tower. If need be you can get a welding shop to make up one or two of
them, but they won't be galvanized.  I think they are well worth the
investment.

  I am looking at an installation
>> with wall mount+ guys. But if I install guys in the conventional way, I face
>> the possibility that one of the guys will interfere with a corner of the
>> house. Would it be possible (safe?) if the guy anchor points were rotated 15
>> deg from the 'normal'. All three guy points would be rotated, so 120 deg
>> separation would be maintained, but would the rotated guy directions place
>> any additional torque on the tower?

Yes,this will put a fairly strong twisting moment at the tower base or
shear, but why not just rotate the tower that much so the guys will
still be perpendicular to the tower leg? The tower on the West end of my
shop is mounted that way. I had to make a custom bracket but the tower
is turned about 30 degrees which lets me lay it down so it'll miss the
trees.  It also lets me use the NW guy anchor for the 45G as the W
anchor for the 25G.

Just remember that if it has a hinged base to mount it so the hinge will
be to the outside. A friend installed a tower for a mercury vapor light
at his farm only to discover he had put the base in with the hinges on
the back side. That one leg folded when he tried to raise the tower.
Fortunately the base survived and I took my gin pole over to install the
tower. As he had a 2 1/2 story house it was a relatively easy install
with the bracket that high.

As an added note: IF and I have to emphasize the "IF" the tower is not
heavily loaded or tall I'd keep the other two guys perpendicular to the
tower legs and only move the one to clear the house if needed.  That
would put less stress on the tower than moving all three to maintain the
120 degree separation. True, it would provide less support from the one
direction (which is why I emphasized the tower not be heavily loaded)
but it is much more secure than moving all of them 15 degrees.

NOTE: this is not a recommendation, but I'd not be uncomfortable if I
had one of the guys on my 25G only 15 degrees out on the West end of the
shop, but it is not heavily loaded and only 50 feet tall. Tower loading
goes up rapidly with height.

73

Roger (K8RI)