Re: [TowerTalk] Solid center conductor LMR400 for crankup tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid center conductor LMR400 for crankup tower?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:39:31 -0400
On 10/27/2011 12:06 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> Another alternative is LMR-400UF, stranded center conductor like RG-8, but
> better specs.

If you've used UF versions you probably would not list them as an
alternative.  They have a rubber like jacket that is fragile. It wears
easily from friction, catches on rough edges, and does not stand up well
to UV.  I've never had it last even 10 years.  On one piece the jacket
split and that one was not being flexed.

However, it is the most flexible of the RG-8 size cables I've seen and
it is low loss and just slightly more than regular LMR400.
IF the cable is readily accessible for easy change and cost is not a
factor it is a great cable. OH, It is a PITA to use a cable trimmer on
due to the rubber like jacket bunching up, so it's the old box cutter
for attaching connectors.

I still have several hundred feet of LMR600UF to run in conduit where
it'll work fine.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> 73, Dick, W1KSZ
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Grant Saviers<grants2@pacbell.net>  wrote:
>
>> The solid center conductor cables are spec'd for about 20 bends at the
>> specified radius.  I've been told that the failure mode is particularly
>> annoying - intermittent opens.  So depending on your crankup up/down
>> plans and how well you flake the cable for large radius bending, you may
>> have a reasonable life with a solid center coax.
>>
>> 9913-F7 is almost identical to LMR400 so why not use it or BuryFlex for
>> the up the tower run?  For 2m, 70cm and higher it might be worth playing
>> with LDF4 or bigger.
>>
>> Grant KZ1W
>>
>> On 10/26/2011 6:58 PM, krishna kanakasapapathi wrote:
>>> Howdie folks,
>>>     I am installing the DB18 on a 75ft crankup. Have a roll of LMR400, the
>>> solid center conductor type.
>>>     I thought i might just ask before i cut the cable from the roll. Any
>>> possible issues with
>>>      using the LMR400 on a crankup?
>>>
>>>     I have arms mounted on each of the 3 sections to keep the cables away
>>> from the telescoping sections.
>>>
>>> 73s
>>> krish
>>> w4vku