Re: [TowerTalk] pipe anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pipe anchors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:56:01 -0700
On 10/29/11 11:44 AM, K8RI on TT wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 12:09 PM, Richard wrote:
>> I live on a small city lot and am in the process of installing a 40 ft
>> Rohn 25G tower in my back yard with a pier pin base. I'd really like to
>> avoid using screw in anchors
>
> Screw in anchors are notoriously unreliable.  Yes, I know there are
> those who have used them for years, but they are highly dependent on
> soil conditions and the quality of the anchor.  They are best avoided.

Hmm.. pretty much every telephone/power pole around is guyed by screw in
anchors. Lots of other tall guyed things as well.  At least here in
Southern California, for commercial installations they are VERY common
(and there's a few companies who specialize in installing them. they
have a truck with a hydraulic motor that drives them into the ground)

Maybe the key is that they are an "engineered" solution and require
proper selection and installation. Screwing up either makes them a lot
worse than expected.

There is an elegant simplicity and installation screwup proofness to
pouring a bunch of concrete in a hole.