Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:48:58 -0400
On 10/30/2011 2:51 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 10/30/11 10:39 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
>> A couple more comments, some not covered before:  (all comments w/o
>> engineering calcs - YMMV)
>>
>> 1.  Square tube is stiffer/stronger than round pipe or wide flange beams
>> (I-beams) of same #/ft..
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure this is true.  Bending strength goes as the radius to
> the 4th power, and for a given perimeter, a circle has the section
> moment.  (sort of like a circle has the most included area for a given
> perimeter).
>
> Cross sections with right angles are easier to use in construction,
> especially for bolted connections, and a I beam typically has more metal
> farther from the center than a square tube (which is why they use that
> shape).
>
> However, in "practical sizes commonly sold" it might be true that
> squares are stronger than circles.

I think you will find that per unit of weight the pipe is stronger than
other shapes which have their maximum strength along one or more axises.

Structural steel tube like pipe has a welded seam, BUT pipe is much
softer and bends far easier than structural steel. DOM (which is also
seamless) of a given wall thickness is even stronger and more rigid.
IIRC DOM is also available in multiple alloys.

Most towers like 25G and 45G depend on shape for most of their strength.

73

Roger (K8RI)