Re: [TowerTalk] Electric foldover winch

To: KC2TN <kc2tn@comcast.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Electric foldover winch
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:46:25 -0500
Hi Joe.

While a few of us have removed and totally replaced our up/dn hand winch
with an electric but I'm not sure I've ever cataloged anyone replacing
their fold over winch.  I'm sure that there's one or two out there,
though.  Joe, WD0M shows how he folds his tower over with an electric
drill on his page at http://www.wd0m.com/winchadapter.html

I can attest to the fact that this does in-fact work as I've done it
myself with a 1/2" Milwaukee hammer drill and socket drive adapter on my
TX-455.  Folding the tower over is a one hand operation.  Getting it
back up in the air takes a bit more ooomph to hold onto the drill.
Switching to a worm-gear drive would probably make this affair a bit
more palatable for the electric drill -
http://www.amazon.com/Dutton-Lainson-WG2000-Worm-Gear-Winch/dp/B002YNLUYG

I can only imagine that utilizing this method with a TX-472 would be
large undertaking when going from horizontal, back up to vertical.

In the event that you are interested in something of a more permanent
nature there may be an idea or two for you here:
http://www.w4abc.com/drive.html

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
http://www.w4abc.com/