Re: [TowerTalk] quick question

To: tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] quick question
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 23:46:38 -0800
sounds like you're not going to back guy the power pole?
don't say how high it is.

if the pole is only 6' out of the ground, the pulling force on a single wire
winch is probably 1500 lbs or so.

That might make the power pole pull over, depending on what the ground is and
how the pole is packed in.

independent of the size of the winch, you might be concerned about braking
capacity and also how hard it is for you to turn the crank on the winch.

A double wire pulley adds more components.

If you had more pole out of the ground (9' or so) then the pull probably
reduces
to 1000 lbs or so, putting less stress on pulleys etc.

A heavy quad/rotor can change things..adding a lot of weight at the end can be
worse than a heavier tower.

obviously you want cable with a working load limit well beyond this.

don't say what the diameter of the power pole is. Don't want to snap it.

-kevin
ad6z