Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding Questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Grounding Questions
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:54:49 -0500
On 12/21/2011 11:00 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> A friend is putting up an LM-470 and asked about grounding it. Who
> makes the Ground Kit for
> the tower ? I have a couple of DX Engineering PPC-UNI-KIT-2CT kits,
> will they do ?

As I make my own and add lots of bare #2 copper along with ground rods
every 16' I'm not familiar with the DX engineering kits.
I ties the ground cable to the tower legs, and make a gentle curve out
(about 3 to 6') to the first ground rod. Then extend the cable straight
out with ground rods every 16 feet, give or take.  This gives me three
runs straight out plus a cable to another ground rod close to where the
coax and control cables enter the house/shack where I have  grounding
bulkhead.  The ground run from the tower to the entrance also has ground
rods CadWelded about every 8 to 16 feet along its length.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm

> Also, what's the name of those one-shot chemical "bombs" used to weld

CadWeld (TM)

73 and good luck.

Roger (K8RI)
> the ground cable to