Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Bolt Pattern

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor Bolt Pattern
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:25:39 -0500
On 12/22/2011 9:14 PM, k6ye@q.com wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> I have a T2X on the tower and a Yaesu 2800-SDX on my desk to replace the
> former. The bolt patterns are not even close. You can download both patterns
> (Hygain/MFJ for the T2X and Yaesu for the 1000. A chap in New York does make
> adapters for about $70 shipped.

If you are going to use the the ROHN accessory shelf , all you need to
do is drill the new holes, but check the cutout for the wiring from the
old Hy-gain rotators as it may be in an awkward position.  In that case
you can get a piece of 1/4" Aluminum plate and all you need is either a
portable drill or drill press. Rotate the bolt holes so they come out
inbetween each other. This is an adapter plate for the thrust bearing,
but the procedure would be much the same.
  http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Adapter.htm  In retrospect I
made this a bit more difficult than it needed to be.  These might offer
some ideas and save a few bucks.

I'm not sure how much the plates of 6061-T6 cost as I ordered about 2
dozen of them with my last shipment of 1 1/2" AND 2" 6061-t6 Tubing, but
they were no more than a few dollars each.  They didn't even charge me
for the cutting.  Curse all they did was run a strip through the metal
shears so it probably took them about 5 minutes to cut all the plates.
(+/- 1/8") It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to actually make the
adapter plates.  1/8" steel  plate would also work, but it'd need a good
coat of protective paint that's very durable.

With the Yaesu rotator which has the cable coming out the side of the
rotator you don't even need the large hole in the center of the plate
unless you plan on lowering a mast down through it which I do.

73

Roger (K8RI)