Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:10:32 -0800
Code requires everything in a metal building to be grounded, extra
ground wires to the structural steel from the service entrance ground,
all plumbing grounded to same, etc.  There is nothing special for the
skin or roof, but there are thousands of screws doing the grounding to
the girts and purlins.  So IMHO there is no safety reason to not ground
the roof.

I know from cell phone reception experience a metal building is a very
good approximation of a Faraday cage - 3 bars outside, none inside.  I
had to add a Wilson amplifier and external antenna.  If your roof edge
to ground rod wires are frequent enough around the perimeter that may
help keep strike current away from the house contents.  A foundation
perimeter ground wire with periodic rods and/or Ufer grounds in footings
add another layer of protection.

It sounds like your building is fairly recent, so if you have a Ufer
ground in the footings (should be near the service entrance panel/meter
and be visible or have a inspection hatch)  that is another good
grounding point.

Grant KZ1W