Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV

To: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:05:00 -0800
I know that the current generation HD DirectTV DVR communicates with the
dish via some protocol.  I think the way it works is the
LNA/downconverter/multi switch at the dish downconverts the desired
station (satellite, transponder, polarization) to a band and RG6 so
multiple DVRs can hook to one dish.  The two RG6's also permit
simultaneous recording from two satellites.  The newest system does this
all on one coax.  How that is done I know is incompatible with the prior
generation of DirectTV and Tivo DVRs and some splitters.

The point is, a Polyphaser or ICE arrestor may interfere with the
protocols.  A RG6 shield grounding block obviously won't.

Perhaps a TTian knows what works with the various DirectTV generations.

Grant KZ1W