Re: [TowerTalk] Propane Soldering Irons ??

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Propane Soldering Irons ??
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:03:29 -0500
On 1/2/2012 5:47 PM, Mike wrote:
> I had problems with the one you use this last week up the tower, just could
> not get enough heat. It was damp and cold, that's why I said to use the
> Pencil Torch when outside up the tower, it takes about 10 minutes of
> practice because it is more like welding than soldering but I was able to
> heat to tip of the N-Type pin and poke the solder through the tiny hole for
> a great job.
Bernz-o-Matic and others had attachments that went on their torches with
a large soldering tip. When I say large I'm referring to the size used
for soldering copper pipe.  If you can find one AND keep it lit it
should solder most anything as long as it's not too cold, too windy, or
raining.  Weather proofing connections in cold weather is a royal PITA
and often not successful.   Even keeping the tape inside you jacket
where it's warm doesn't work on really cold days as the tape gets cold
and brittle just winding it around the connection.  If it's cold AND
windy it's pretty much a lost cause.  OTOH mastic tape *may* still work.

73

Roger (K8RI)