Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:54:19 -0800
On 1/14/2012 2:23 PM, Steve W3AHL wrote:
> While PL-259's and barrel connectors may not have enough loss on HF to worry
> about, they certainly make nice markers when sweeping coax runs with a TDR!
> You can see every connector's impedance bump.

So what? The TDR is a diagnostic tool, but it is NOT an indicator of
loss.  N6RK is absolutely right -- the extremely short length of line
with a small mismatch is totally insignificant below high UHF, and in
the real world, is swamped by ordinary losses in the line itself.
Remember that a connector is quite small AS A FRACTION OF A WAVELENGTH
below high UHF frequencies.

Those doing the hand-wringing about tiny mismatches ought to go back to
the woodshed to study the fundamentals of transmission lines.  There's
an excellent family of curves showing the additional loss due in a line
to mismatch for various values of VSWR.

What matters a LOT more are issues like cost, mechanical robustness,
waterproofing, ease of installation, and availability.  While
N-connectors have better impedance characteristics that DO matter above
1 GHz, they're also prone to the center conductor creeping out of the
connector.

Except for routers, 100% of my operation is below 1 GHz, and the only
N-connectors in my shack are on equipment or hard line they came with,
or mating with those connectors.  And I make 100% of my mating
connections using Amphenol UHF to N adapters. :)

73, Jim K9YC