Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:43:04 +0000
Gene,

EZNEC predicts the feedpoint impedance of an 80m half-wave at 30ft over
average ground as 51 Ohms at resonance - that was close enough for me to
call the RG213 "matched" ;)

But you raise a very good point about bandwidth: in my model the
half-wave dipole was resonant at 3.6MHz; by 3.8MHz the SWR on the coax
had risen to 5.7:1, increasing feedline losses by 0.5dB. On the other
hand the 100ft ladderline-fed system losses hardly change, so the "gap"
between it and the half-wave is considerably narrowed. If you care to
run the sums with 600 Ohm open-wire line feeding the 100ft dipole,
rather than commercial ladderline, you can close the gap completely.

73,
Steve G3TXQ