Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of ladder (window) line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of ladder (window) line
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:45:02 +0000
I said

 >I got a reply from Wireman. 553 ladder line weighs 6lb/100ft.

Today I got another reply from them: "Alan, Sorry I should have said
approx. 6 lbs per 330 ft not 100Ft".

Craig at Radioware says: "I weighed a reel (1000 ft) of the 551 which
should weigh essentially the same given that stranded 18 awg is about
the same amount of copper as solid 18 awg.  That weighed in at 28.8
lbs.". That makes 9.5lb for 100m.

I just got hold of a scrap of a few feet of 551 and weighed it on a lab
balance. That piece extrapolated to 8.2lb for 100m.

So it looks like 551 weighs between 6 and 9 lb/100m. Maybe there's a lot
of variation in the thickness of the insulation between batches?

73, Alan G3XAQ