Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: VP6T

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: VP6T
From: Jack/W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 20:46:22 -0800
On 2/2/2012 1:15 PM, Jim Hoge wrote:

> No arguments from me on the value of QSL cards. I too would rather have a
> card than an LotW confirmation and do for all but one of my confirmed
> countries. My point was just that for ARRL awards, LotW is an easier method
> for topband. Also, it is a less expensive alternative when you are chasing
> the DXCC Challenge award. It doesn't take a math wiz to realize that direct
> QSLing is expensive.
>
> 73 es gl with the cards,
> Jim W5QM

We know very well about the cost, which is why Shelley goes for one card
from each DXCC entity. When we get cards via the buro they are returned
the same way. Direct cards, on the rare occasion they do happen, are
returned the same way if an SASE or SAE/IRC is enclosed.

We both use LoTW but Shelley has an issue with some cards checked at
Visalia last year not being credited. It may be a lack of understanding
of LoTW on our part but it is, nonetheless, a source of frustration.

Fortunately some of those entities have since confirmed electronically
on LoTW.

Jack, W6NF
Shelley, K7MKL
Silver Springs, NV