Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 23:41:29 -0500
On 2/3/2012 9:31 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Gedas wrote:
>
>> Anyway, while it is not as elegant as the falling derrick method, here is
>> what I use on my 3 towers.  Just a couple pressure treated 6"x6"x18'
>> timbers
>> bolted together and sunk into 5'-6' concrete at a slight angle.  Heavy
>> chain

OK...I have to ask. Are you taking about a fold over, or a hinged base?
They are quite different.
I The question was about a fold over, not a hinged base so I doubt a
falling derrick would work well for that, but is excellent for the
hinged base.
Then again the above paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense if it is a
fold over as it says in the subject line.

BTW this entire tower was put up using a 4WD and a winch.  Most of the
lift IIRC was done by the vehicle and the fine stuff done with the winch
on the front.
OTOH it was all piece-by-piece.  This tower became available for free if
you'd take it down. They found no takers and finally the power company
took it down for the steel.

73

Roger(K8RI)