Re: [TowerTalk] Help separating sections of Glen Martin tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help separating sections of Glen Martin tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 01:50:55 -0500
On 2/4/2012 11:27 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> The nuts on the carriage bolts holding together Glen Martin section
> can only be unscrewed a few turns before hitting the bracket
> connecting the sections together.  The bolt must be pushed out
> before continuing to unscrew the nut.  (This will make sense if
> you have ever worked on this kind of tower).  I am finding that
> the bolt is binding in the square hole and I can't get it out
> even using a screwdriver whacked with a hammer to try to push
> it.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this?
>
> Tomorrow, I am thinking of loosening all 8 nuts in one leg
> the few turns that I can, and then banging on the whole
> bracket to maybe pop them loose.

8 Nuts in one leg of a three legged tower?  I'm having a bit of a
problem visualizing this.
They are angular. Do they have that much overlap at the junctions?  It
looks like they use an insert in one photo instead of over lap. If
that's the way they do it, it becomes very difficult to try and drive
the insert out, or rather in toward the center of the tower.
If you try the "banging" use a dead blow hammer so you won't damage the
legs. If you are pounding/banging on the inside be careful not to put
too much into "banging" as you don't want to bend the leg.
One thought that comes to mind is: loosen the bolts on one side as much
as you can. Then take a piece of 1" wide X 1/4 inch steel, long enough
to reach the other leg for back up.  (this is if you have enough room
for 1/4" or 1/8" steel to get in there.  If you can then use a rod to
tap on the steel as close as you can get to the bolts.
I'd use a rod, place one end on the steel strap and tap on the other
with a 16 Oz hammer.  Use care not to damage anything.
  If you use a penetrating oil be sure to clean it off before reassembly.

> Note that the bolt cannot turn in the square hole and in any
> event, the head is smooth and there is nothing to grip.
Carriage bolts in a tower?
If they are carriage bolts, is there any way to get hold of the head
using a pair of vise Grips?
I'm not familiar with these towers, but looking at the photos, could you
use a Drift pin punch once the nut is loosened out to the end of the
threads (It looks like you should be able to get them that far) I'd kiss
the bolt good by and drive it out if possible being careful not to
damage the tower leg.
I think I'm missing something.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)