Re: [TowerTalk] Painting Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Painting Tower
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:00:58 -0500
On 2/27/2012 4:57 PM, Bruce Ward wrote:
> I purchased a Tri-EX HZN471 over the weekend.  It is a 4 section crank
> up 70' or so tower.
>
> It has been in use with the seller since 1977 and was used when he
> bought it.
>
> It has surface rust on perhaps 5% of the surface area.
>
> I would like to paint it before installing.  My plan is to use a wire
> brush to remove the surface rust then paint the entire tower.
>
> What kind of paint should I use?

On the outside I use Devshield 4130 Rust penetrating Metal Primer and
Devguard 4308 Alkyd Industrial Gloss Enamel. Specifically I use the
Machine Gray 4308-6110 over the Light Gray 4130-6130 primer applied via
an HVLP gun which means they need very little if any thinning.  The gray
is used in machine shops to paint heavy tools so it's rugged.  It also
reduces the visibility of the tower, but if you like it, I think they
also have an Aluminum color.

They are made by Devoe and for Industrial use and no, I have no
connection with the company or paint sales.

I'd also get a few of the steel brushes used to clean copper connectors
before soldering, put them on extensions which I'd chuck up in a drill
motor, and use them to clean out the inside of the legs.   The legs can
be painted by capping off one end and pouring in a thinned mix of cold
galvanizing paint, or more of the regular paint...making sure the legs
are clean inside first. After the legs are thoroughly coated inside, you
pour out the mix and let stand to drain completely.

This is a job I prefer to do in the hot summer sun to make sure the
paint cures. I even give it a couple days to make certain the pain
inside the legs is dry.
This is commercial/Industrial paint so it does give off some nasty
fumes.  It's certainly not for painting indoors without proper ventilation.

73

Roger (K8RI)