Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:32:51 -0500
Yes, MicroDEM is a PITA, but there is a wealth of information available
on how to use it and HFTA.  The biggest PITA, actually, is that the USGS
contractor responsible for the seamless database and its web interface
keeps changing things, so that even a 2009 document is out of date on
the data download side.  Nonetheless, the file provided with the Antenna
Book or available at
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Product%20Notes/Antenna%20Book/HFTA.pdf>
will, with a little intelligent modification to take care of the user
interface changes, produce exactly the terrain files you need and help
you use them in HFTA (which has *not* changed).  I helped write the
instructions and, it appears, will need to rewrite them. Soon, I hope.

All this business about locating your antenna within feet or inches is
silly.  The terrain data are markedly less precise than that, as Jim Lux
pointed out - more like some tens of meters.  What MicroDEM does, if
used according to the instructions, is to draw radials from the antenna
location out some 3-4 miles, which are readable by HFTA as .pro
profiles.  These radials are simply the electronic equivalent of drawing
pencil lines on a topographic map and entering the elevation at, say,
10-meter intervals

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,