Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 01:59:53 -0400
On 4/16/2012 11:40 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with "Browning BR-240 LOW LOSS 50 ohm" cable ?

I would guess that BR-240 is a knock off of CNT-240 and LMR-240 and the
only relation to 8X would be size.  8X is very flexible and that is one
of its primary attributes.
CNT-240 and LMR-240 have a solid center conductor, thin braid over foil
shield, foam dielectric, and are very stiff. The braid is very fragile
requiring care when installing connectors. I've used the LMR and CNT 240
cables to feed a 40 meter dipole with the legal limit and a very low SWR
(max of 1.3:1)  The center conductor broke often with the coax swinging
in the breeze between the sloper and the tower.  RG-8X with single or
double braid over foil worked well with no breaking. Bandwidth was very
limited on 75 at the legal limit with 8X. I did not try any of the 240
versions.  Myself, I'd stick with a couple hundred watts and put a tuner
out by the feed point for that coax of 75.

>   Wondering how much power it will take on 75/80m with 3:1 SWR and coming up
> with very little online.

Check with Davis RF  http://www.davisrf.com/  I doubt it will handle
much with 3:1, but have never tried.  I'm not even going hazard a guess
as to its limits.  I much prefer the double braid over foil on 8X over
either of the 240s I tried.  I think you will find the small cables have
a lot of resistive loss on 75 and 160.

73

Roger (K8RI)