Re: [TowerTalk] New ROTOR design at VISALIA DX convention

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New ROTOR design at VISALIA DX convention
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 02:17:09 -0400
On 4/23/2012 11:31 AM, JoshL wrote:
> Geezzz,  If you are like me , you have experienced
> many ROTOR  failures over the years -

Actually I've had very few failures. I've tended to stay away from the
ham series and anything with wedge brakes.  That not to say I haven't
used a few and even overloaded them a bit, but they just weren't up to
the array here. Unfortunately the top seals went out on the PST-61 which
I saw as a design flaw in the early ones.

> from problems with controllers,  direction sensors,
> to a SHAFT actually shearing off -

I like the design, but I hope they come out with something a bit more
beefy at  a reasonable price.  Something like the AlphaSpid for power
and cost.
I also like that it easily fits into a 25G. I need something that will
handle multiple antennas with 30 to 50 foot booms although I can get by
with a 28 and 30 foot boom with about 12' separation on one tower.
Which I think goes well beyond the ratings of this rotator.  I also need
to be able to slow the thing down to 360 degrees per minute or even slower.

> W7CY has a new product , worth checking out
> The Control cable works fine at  500 ft length !
> It  uses STEP  motor with digital controller .
>
> this is NOT you Daddy's rotor !

Yah, but it could stand a bit more beef.

> *www.cytorq.com   *
>
> The CYDWINDER is side mount  -  with likely
> future UPGRADE to larger motor

Side mounts like that belong on strong towers.

> -  I dislike
> TIC RINGS - hard to install, hard to maintain
> and tricky to climb around -  this is a solution
> to that problem.

Depending on the length of the arm and how far out from the tower the
rotator mounts can give you between 240 and 300 degrees. The farther out
you go the more rotation you can get, but the elements must clear the
tower by a substantial amount  and the farther out you go the more
torque it puts on the tower.

73

Roger (K8RI)